Museums of MMV
Perhaps you can't visit all the MMV museums at once, so here they are by
location. Some are in Melbourne itself, others you can reach in only an hour
or two's drive.
Or take a leisurely regional tour, and combine maritime heritage
with the famous food, wine and attractions of Victoria's countryside.
Click on the individual museum links for up-to-date opening hours and details of attractions.
Both Seaworks and HMAS Castlemaine
are located at the historic seaport of Williamstown,
and a major exhibition on HMVS Cerberus
is on display at Seaworks. (There is no access to
the actual Cerberus wreck site at Black Rock.)
Seaworks provides berthing for tall ships visiting Melbourne and hosts maritime
and community events. Museum displays include ship models, bells, diving
equipment, navigation instruments, photos, prints and paintings. The Port of
Melbourne has donated plaques, equipment, an Honour Board, and a collection of
gifts. Seaworks has an extensive maritime library and is located on the
historic Melbourne Harbour Trust site.
is one of sixty Australian-built Bathurst Class
corvettes to serve throughout World War II, and is the last such vessel still
afloat, having been restored by volunteers over four decades. Exhibits and
memorabilia show what life was like for crews of these vessels. The
ship is located at Gem Pier in the heart of historic Williamstown, near the
information centre, cafes, parks and heritage sites, very close to Seaworks
Maritime Discovery Centre.
The HMVS Cerberus exhibition is on display at Seaworks.
Launched in 1868, Cerberus
is the only remaining breastwork monitor
class warship left in the world, and was the first armoured warship built for
Australia. It has rested in three metres of water at Half Moon Bay since being
scuttled to form a breakwater in 1926. Friends of the Cerberus Inc. is working with
Heritage Victoria, the National Trust of Victoria and the City of Bayside to
for future generations. (Entry onto Cerberus
or being in the water immediately surrounding the vessel is prohibited.)
The Mission to Seafarers Victoria, first recorded in 1857, has operated since
1917 from the heritage-listed building at 717 Flinders St on the banks of the
Yarra River. The Mission is highly regarded for its long service to those who
live and work at sea. Open to visitors, the complex includes the Norla Dome,
the Flying Angel club room and St Peter's Memorial Chapel and garden, and
houses an archival collection of maritime and social history of State and
is a three-masted iron-hulled barque, built in Belfast in
1885. She carried coal, nitrate, and wheat between Britain and South America,
then cargo in the New Zealand trade. She became a coal hulk in 1923, and was
used as a service lighter in WWII in New Guinea. Restoration by the National
Trust of Victoria began in 1962. The ship was refurbished with 60,000 hours of
voluntary labour, and is an ongoing project. In 1988 the World Ship Trust
recognised Polly Woodside
with an award for "supreme achievement in the
preservation of maritime heritage." The museum offers a history gallery,
theatre, picnic wharf, shop, and children's activities.
Wattle is one of the few remaining steam operated vessels in Australia.
It was built for the Navy in 1933 at Cockatoo Island Dockyard, and operated
until 1969. Wattle came to Melbourne in 1979 and in 1985 started doing
charters and cruises around Portarlington. Since 2009 Wattle has been
extensively restored by volunteers from the Bay Steamers Maritime Museum, with
the plan of returning to steaming in early 2017. Wattle and the workshop
is located at North Wharf, Docklands. Volunteers are there every Saturday, and
welcome visitors and new volunteers.